[caops-wg] OCSP APIs for MyProxy and GT4 - Requirements document?

Jesus Luna jluna at ac.upc.edu
Tue Oct 24 14:43:21 CDT 2006

Mike Helm wrote:
> Does your product make any provision for caching
> --

Hello Mike and Jim,
Sorry for the delayed responses :)
First of all I think that Jim's implementation is of great value and a
good step towards finally supporting OCSP into Grids. In the last months
we (at UPC) have been planning to port OGRO to C language, unfortunately
we don't have enough resources (aka volunteers) to do the job and
instead both Oscar Manso (Grid-OCSP server) and me (Grid-OCSO client)
have tried to evolve the OGRO middleware thanks to our research on
Grid-validation and comments from the users community. We expect to
contact Frank Siebenlist in the following days with an updated/debugged
OGRO version, to see if it's possible to included it as a patch to the
GT's Java Core.

So from my point of view thanks to Jim's effort we may be able to:
i) Finish for good (that's the correct English phrase?) the OCSP Reqs
Document. As far as I remember, the version posted at the CAOPS' site
was in need of a readability checking and now we may need to update
appendixes A.3 (MyProxy example) and B (client conf examples) according
to Jim's experience and comments.
ii) If possible I'd like to use Jim's source code to begin working
towards a "OGRO-C" which may be configured in a way similar to the
Java-based version. Potential users would be happy to configure its
clients in an analogous way and now we are closer to that if you believe
that OGRO's config file may be useful. I'd try to work towards this goal
in the short-term ;)

Finally about Responses' caching: in OGRO we implemented this feature as
an add-on to the JCE Provider being used (currently Bouncy Castle/IAIK),
by keeping an in-memory structure that's constantly being purged of
non-definitive cert statuses. As I told you this may added into the
OGRO-C port thanks to Jim's client. In any case you might be interested
into this one:
“OCSP for Grids: Comparing Prevalidation versus Caching”. Luna, Jesús.
Manso, Oscar. Manel, Medina. Accepted for the 7th IEEE/ACM International
Conference on Grid Computing, Barcelona, September 2006.
http://www.grid2006.org/

I don't know if it can be posted here, but if you're interested then for
research purposes you can contact me directly. :)

Best regards,

--

o o o Jesus Luna Garcia         |   Polytechnic University of Catalonia