[caops-wg] OCSP APIs for MyProxy and GT4 - Requirements document?

Jim Basney jbasney at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 24 12:33:29 CDT 2006

Mike Helm <helm at fionn.es.net> wrote:

> How does it, or how do you see it choosing, between
> a configured OCSP responder (a default responder?),
> AIA extensions in EE certs, or local CRL files?

The "OCSP Requirements for Grids" document says:

  relying parties MUST be capable of handling both CRLs and OCSP, and it
  MUST be a configurable option which source of revocation to prefer and
  which to use as a backup, on a per-issuer basis.

and:

  Local configuration MUST have precedence over any service locator
  information located in the certificate's AIA extension. A default
  responder for all other issuers SHOULD be configurable as well.

I find the configuration requirements in the document to be quite
complex, and I suspect MyProxy will not meet them fully any time soon.
MyProxy will implement the following to start:

  - Always check CRLs if present.

  - Allow configuration of a trusted local OCSP responder.

  - Allow configuration of whether OCSP responders should be located via
    AIA extensions.

  - Allow configuration of whether the trusted local responder or AIA
    responder should take precedence.

-Jim