[igtf-general] Re: AuthN CA middleware support [Fwd: [caops-wg] Draft Agenda]

David Groep davidg at nikhef.nl
Wed May 10 04:44:07 CDT 2006

Hi all,

Olle Mulmo wrote:
> I'm sure David will respond with a longer reply, but the short answer
> is "no". This is to indicate that the RP only honors subsets of the
> CA's namespace.

It's hard to add more substance to Olle's statement, but to put this in
context: these namespace constraints are defined by relying parties (or
by federations on their behalf) and must be enforced in addition to
any nameConstraints in the certificates. In the "old-GAA" world from
globus, these were represented as the ".signing_policy" files alongside
the roots of trust and in the (near) future hopefully as a standard format
if (we and) the MW providers come to an agreement.

	DavidG.

> /Olle
>

> On May 10, 2006, at 07:18, David Chadwick wrote:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>> the nameConstraints extension can almost provide the namespace
>> constraints that you require, but it has some weaknesses due to its
>> "trust all except" semantics. It is necessary that each application
>> check that the authenticated name that is returned is a DN and not  a
>> name in some other name format, and that no other name forms  exist in
>> the subjectAltName extension. With those provisos,  nameConstraints
>> should work when cross certifying CAs or  subordinate CAs
>>
>> regards
>>
>> David
>>

>> David Groep wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>> For the discussion on Friday's IGTF session, following up from the
>>> discussion we had at the last TAGPMA F2F meeting, the following
>>> document
>>> is the /very first and preliminary draft/ of the 'Request to MW
>>> Providers'
>>> Your comments are more then welcome (also if you're not physically
>>> at GGF).
>>>     Regards,
>>>     DavidG.

David Groep

** National Institute for Nuclear and High Energy Physics, PDP/Grid group **
** Room: H1.56 Phone: +31 20 5922179, PObox 41882, NL-1009DB Amsterdam NL **