[caops-wg] Proxy certificate revocation text

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Fri Feb 10 08:27:32 CST 2006

Hi Oscar and Jesus

Your document says
"it is highly recommended that only End Entities revoke their own Proxy
Certificates.
If a third party is required to perform this process (i.e. resource
owners and local security administrators), it is recommended to notify
of such revocation the corresponding End Entity from the Proxy
Validation Path so appropriate counteractive actions can take place.
However, as mentioned previously, third party revocation is not a
recommended practice from a security point of view."

I would actually go further than you do, and say that no-one is allowed
to revoke a proxy certificate except its creator or an authorised
delegate of the creator. Allowing anyone else to revoke a proxy is
equivalent of allowing a DOS attack on the proxy. On the other hand, a
resource owner is the source of authority for his own resource, and can
trust or distrust any certs that he wants to (PKC and AC). Therefore a
resource owner can blacklist anything from using his resource. But this
is not revocation of a proxy cert, since the proxy cert is still
authentic and can still be used at other resources that trust it. It
simply isnt valid for use at the local resource. Revocation on the other
hand ensures that no-one should trust the proxy cert, since the issuer
is saying that it is no longer valid.

regards

David

jluna at ac.upc.edu wrote:
> Hi!
> You will find attached to this message our proposed text for the Proxy
> Revocation topic, taking into account some comments from D. Chadwick as
> mentioned in the teleconferece.
>
> Best regards,
> Oscar & Jesus

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
Email: D.W.Chadwick at kent.ac.uk