Name Constraints, was Re: [caops-wg] Re: ca signing policy file

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 11:48:11 CDT 2005

Cowles, Robert D. wrote:

> The gridmapfile gives no clue as to CA or to VO.
>
> Why do PKI *users* care about 2)?

They dont (except to know which CA to go to). Name constraints is a
trust issue between CAs, they set the policies, and then the RPs enforce
them when giving access to their resources. Of course an RP can ignore a
CA's policy, and trust any cert it wanted to, but then it would be
entirely responsible for any losses incurred.

regards
David

  Unless you consider
> the CA's to be "PKI users*.
>
> BC
>

>>Bob
>>
>>I think 2) is the main reason used by PKI users in general.
>>What are the design flaws in 1)?
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>David
>>

>>Cowles, Robert D. wrote:
>>
>>>My impression of why we had the constraints were:
>>>
>>>(1) gridmapfile design flaw
>>>
>>>(2) the CA's wanted some limitations so as to help
>>>    divide up the people coming to them ... so that
>>>    one CA didn't have to issue certs for the whole
>>>    world (since it's being done on pretty limited
>>>    budgets).
>>>
>>>BC

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
Email: D.W.Chadwick at kent.ac.uk