[caops-wg] Name Constraints - attempt at framing issues

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Fri Oct 14 10:11:09 CDT 2005

Bob

the issue is about global naming. You used a globally unique email
address in the certificate when you posed the question, so I said yes.
If on the other hand you had just put Brett in the cert then of course I
would not expect this to always name the same person.

regards

David

Cowles, Robert D. wrote:
> There are lots of people named David ... should they
> all be the same person?  Maybe they *should*, but
> that doesn't make it so.  As a relying party, without
> a MUST and a reasonable way to implement it with
> good controls, I won't count on it.  I'm a bit leery
> that the CA can ever perform the simpler job, but I can
> mitigate that risk by making the users register and
> if they want to use a new certificate they have to
> register the new one and say it replaces or is to
> be used as a synonym the old one .... not that I
> *automatically* the two certificates belong to the
> same EE.
>
> BC

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
Email: D.W.Chadwick at kent.ac.uk