Name Constraints, was Re: [caops-wg] Re: ca signing policy file

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 13 12:22:15 CDT 2005

David Chadwick wrote:
>> I don't care about the collisions - that's a non-issue as far as I'm
>> concerned.
>>
>> The only sticky point I see, is the ability for any of your trusted
>> CAs to issue certificates outside of their administrative domain and
>> only to rely on essentially paper agreements to prevent this.
>>
>> Note that with Kerberos cross-realm authentication, one realm is
>> unable to issue credentials for the director of the other institute...
>>
>> With your proposed scheme, any "trusted" CA in Italy, Germany, even
>> Holland..., would have the theoretical opportunity to issue a
>> certificate that would impersonate the director of Berkeley, NCSA,
>> Livermore, Los Alamos... and we would have no way to enforce any
>> policy in real-time that could prevent it.
>
> Using names based on hashes of public keys, the only way I could
> impersonate the director would be to get hold of his private key. And
> then it does not matter which CA issued his cert with whatever name it
> put there. Once I have the private key, I AM the director.

Hmmm, that idea sounds vaguely familiar ;-)

This would indeed prevent anyone from impersonating the director, but
again relies on a custom enforcement of that policy, i.e. custom path
validation code - in a way this can be seen as a form of an imposed name
constraint.

> So, if the name is allocated properly, this is not a real risk. It all
> comes back to the same issue I mentioned before, that the CA has to
> prove that the person has the right to assert the name that it is doing.

No arguments there.

-Frank.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory