Name Constraints, was Re: [caops-wg] Re: ca signing policy file

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 12 23:05:31 CDT 2005

I don't care about the collisions - that's a non-issue as far as I'm
concerned.

The only sticky point I see, is the ability for any of your trusted CAs
to issue certificates outside of their administrative domain and only to
rely on essentially paper agreements to prevent this.

Note that with Kerberos cross-realm authentication, one realm is unable
to issue credentials for the director of the other institute...

With your proposed scheme, any "trusted" CA in Italy, Germany, even
Holland..., would have the theoretical opportunity to issue a
certificate that would impersonate the director of Berkeley, NCSA,
Livermore, Los Alamos... and we would have no way to enforce any policy
in real-time that could prevent it.

If this acceptable to all our end user organizations, we should happily
adopt the web-browser trust model with paper CA policy statements... and
I'm serious here.

So what are the real "trust-requirements" we are working from?

Regards, Frank.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory