Name Constraints, was Re: [caops-wg] Re: ca signing policy file

Mike Helm helm at fionn.es.net
Wed Oct 12 13:41:09 CDT 2005

"Cowles, Robert D." writes:
> that the middleware includes a check of the CA when it compares
> on DN, then what you say is correct.

This is one of the essential problems with this service that
has never been addressed as far as I know.  name constraints
"be" an incomplete barrier.

BTW, we have found this omission _useful_ in our past.

We switched from a test, development lab CA (DOE Science Grid) to a production
quality CA (doegrids), and we used this property to ease subscribers'
transition to the new CA.  Lesson?  Overlapping name spaces
might be useful!