Name Constraints, was Re: [caops-wg] Re: ca signing policy file

Tony J. Genovese tony at es.net
Mon Oct 10 18:09:01 CDT 2005

Quick search of my 2003 CA...  It is supported. Looks like RFC 2459. From
the man page:

Qualified Subordination [...] All features of qualified subordinate CAs are
new to the Windows Server 2003 family and are not available on Windows 2000
Server. To use these new features, you must use a Windows Server 2003
certification authority.

 Note:  The constraints and policy types listed above are defined in RFC
2459.
-------+--------
They list a number of names and their associated RFCs that you can use:

[....] You can use the following naming and addressing formats to constrain
the certificate issuance activities of qualified subordinate CAs:

  Directory name (for example, an Active Directory distinguished name)
  DNS domain name
  E-mail name
  User principal name (UPN)
  Universal Resource Identifier (URI)