RV: [caops-wg] Re: Grid OCSP proposal

Olle Mulmo mulmo at pdc.kth.se
Thu Mar 17 14:15:03 CST 2005

To avoid confusion: Please make use of proper terminology when such is
defined (for once).

The proper name for the "trust chaining" scenario is called "Authorized
responder", and the authorization is marked by the CA via the inclusion
of the ocsp-signing extended key usage.

If you want a single OCSP responder instance to act as an authorized
responder to several CAs, it must get an OCSP signing certificate from
each CA, and include the right one depending on what CA issued the
client certificate that status was requested for. Or, it can always
include all certificates as it is up to the client to figure out and
build the right certification path.

All other responders that are not directly entrusted by a CA to provide
signing are called Trusted. Trusted because you don't have the explicit
consent (authorization) from the CA, and hence you need to put explicit
trust on that particular responder. How you base and encode that trust
(on its DN, its certificate, or raw public key) is up to you.

One responder being authorized by multiple CAs is a perfectly legal and
reasonably common mode of operation. I know of at least one commercial
software (the one that I wrote...) that supports both the case of all
CAs signing a single key pair, and the responder having multiple
signing keys simultaneously, selecting the appropriate on depending on
which certificate that status is requested for.

/Olle