[caops-wg] OCSP section 4

Oscar Manso o.manso at certiver.com
Thu Jun 2 11:05:29 CDT 2005

> 4.2 talks about CRL's, as does 7.3, but most of the rest of the
> doc seems to assume only OCSP will exist.  For example, 4.7 suggests
> that
> In case the resulting status after an exhausted search is still
> an error or status Unknown, the client SHOULD interpret that as
> Revoked with revocationReason certificateHold (that is, a non-definite
> revocation state), unless otherwise configured.

>> This is a bit evil, yes. The recommended interpretation above should be
>> that of the client, after consulting ALL revocation sources, including
>> CRLs. All other parties should simply reply "unknown" when they run out
>> of options.

In this sense, we find that the suggestion provided by Mike specifying an
order to deal with the validation sources is very appropriate. Maybe one
thing to point out would be the ending condition. We suggest to present it
as:

Search revocation information in preference order
   clients should validate local Trusted OCSP responders first, Authorized
OCSP responders next and then CRLs
First final answer ends the search. (understanding by final answer a valid
or invalid one).