[caops-wg] "develop"

Mike Helm helm at fionn.es.net
Fri Jul 1 15:43:43 CDT 2005

I wanted to talk about TAGPMA charter use of the word "develop"; I don't
think I stated my case very well yesterday.

I'm using an older draft & I know some changes are in the offing
but I don't think they invalidate this comment.

There is a gradual escalation in the meaning of "develop" from the
beginning of the charter, from this

(p2 or 3) It will be the
mission of the TAGPMA to develop and maintain published information on the
trustworthiness of its member authentication service providers.

To this

p5, 2.2
The TAGPMA will develop Authentication Service profiles that reflect our community's
requirements.

With a couple stops in between.

(1) As a practical matter, I don't see how TAGPMA can do this kind of development
in 2.2.  Members or prospective members can develop, and bring these new ideas in,
but TAGPMA isn't a supported project.  Now, I think it might be a good idea for
such efforts to be supported - is that what is intended for this PMA?  Will be
making a roadmap &c?

(2) As a matter of trust management, do you want the developer to be the
approver / accreditor too?  I think you'd want to have a little more
impartiality in the TAGPMA / review side of the relationship (imagine making
the town building inspector and real estate developer the same person).
I think the earlier language was better - "foster development" &c, and something
migth be needed here to say how innovations get let in.  Unless #1 above is
really what is wanted here.