[cads] Following up on the call today

Robert Cohen bcohen at bway.net
Tue Feb 28 12:01:42 CST 2006

Hi,

Sorry for the weird noises on my end. My cab driver nearly rearended the
car in front of us in the snow in Geneva.

The main areas I can work on would be around continuing some of the
aspects of the Athens discussion on moving to collaboration in
"production grids."

The main way to do this would be to work with the commercial firms that
have participated in GGF's previously who have interesting customer
adoptions. In Japan, the best bet for this would be to work through
Kato-san, one of the keynote speakers in Boston. His firm, Engineous,
has some of the more interesting auto, aerospace and heavy
machinery/power equipment customers in Japan. Some of these clients
could certainly talk about the challenges of collaboration, one of the
themes in moving to production grids that we discussed in Athens. A
series of panels might include commercial grids and illustrations of
research production grids supported by the Japanese and Chinese
government.

I also proposed a roundtable after this. I think this could lead to a
broader discussion, but it is a format we have not used. I would propose
three customers, two software vendors, one or two standards participants.

I think these two efforts would support efforts to get the attention of
more vendors and commercial users.

It may also be possible to go to IBM, Hitachi, Fujitsu, NEC, Oracle and
others to suggest customers that they believe illustrate some of the
themes we would like to discuss. I doubt this could be a vendor forum
because firms would be reticient about criticizing their main vendors.
Sekiguchi, I and others know the people to contact.

If we do a VAF, we would be more likely to get IBM, the Japanese
vendors, SAS, and Platform. The big question is whether we could get
some of the firms that are not so convinced GGF offers them much, such
as Datasynapse.

Bob