[BYTEIO-WG] Action items from OGF20 Manchester

Morris Riedel m.riedel at fz-juelich.de
Mon Jun 25 07:05:18 CDT 2007

Hi Byte/IO team,

  following a few actions from OGF20 according to our minutes.

http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/byteio-wg/2007-May/000152.html

(1)

Can we do an overlap with BES in the new BES demo for SC2007?

Maybe we need to get a BES +ByteIO scenario that each need to implement.

Would this need to include RNS?

Use ByteIO as staging element for BES interop demo.

Morris will talk to the BES and GIN folks (Marty Humphrey and Erwin Laure).

As the GIN secretary I would like to invite the byteIO adopters to
participate in the GIN interoperation demos at SC2007 in the track "future
solutions".

Physical presence is not from everybody needed. As an initial step - if
somebody thinks about participation in an byte/IO interoperation - please
provide some details under the following wiki:

http://forge.ogf.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.gin/wiki/GINSuperComputing
2007

(This may require being a member of GIN if you are not already one, you also
should subscribe to the gin at ogf.org mailing list)

Furthermore, I would like to start a discussion of how the byteIO members
envisage an interoperation demo.

So far, it looks like many people have adopted OGSA-BES and ByteIO, but not
in the same prototype. As far as I know there is UNICORE adopting both in
its beta. Is there someone else?

If not, I would propose that we try to do an byteIO interop without OGSA-BES
to get a full recommendation ASAP.

(2)

Plan Interop for the summer - July 21st deadline for setting up public
endpoints.
Mark Morgan would set up a wiki to coordinate information recording.

I think this is the OGSA-interop you are referring to? Right? Are there any
more concrete plans?

I know from the UNICORE and Globus community discussing general OGSA-interop
things, something more concrete for byteIO planned?

However, if this will take place, it would be also nice if you still are
interested in the supercomputing 2007 demonstrations to extend the
visibility of byteIO.

(3)

Would the group think about doing a paper? Crossing interesting borders -
UNICORE, GENESIS II, OGSA-DAI - turn experiences document into paper. Morris
Riedel volunteered to help with this.

I discussed this this morning having the following workshop in mind:

http://omii-europe.org/OMII-Europe/igiiw2007.html

What do you think?

I can assist in the overall writing and with the UNICORE parts, but I will
be not the first-author since I'm involved in organizing this workshop.

Who would be the primary contacts for the other byteIO adopters that would
like to participate in the interop and thus in the paper?

CU on the Grid,

Morris Riedel

Morris Riedel

SW - Engineer

Distributed Systems and Grid Computing Division

Central Institute of Applied Mathematics

Forschungszentrum Juelich

Wilhelm-Johnen-Str. 1

D - 52425 Juelich

Germany

Email: m.riedel at fz-juelich.de

Info: http://www.fz-juelich.de/zam/ZAMPeople/riedel

Phone: +49 2461 61 - 3651

Fax: +49 2461 61 - 6656

Skype: MorrisRiedel

'We work to improve ourselves and the rest of mankind'