[byteio-wg] Notes from telcon

neil p chue hong N.ChueHong at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 11:04:04 CDT 2006

Notes from ByteIO telcon 06/07/2006

Present:
Mark Morgan,
Neil Chue Hong,
Michel Drescher,
Amy Krause

The next call will be on 25/7/06 at 10am Eastern / 3pm UK  Summer Time.

GGF18/Washington DC Planning
============================

- Mark and Michel both going along
Neil will book 1 session of 90 mins avoiding OGSA-BES, WS- Naming, JSDL,
DMIS, OGSA

Documents
=========

Documents have gone through public comment, Neil will post  group replies to
documents on GGF Editor forums:
http://forge.ggf.org/sf/discussion/do/listTopics/projects.g
gf-editor/discussion.rec_byteio_specification_1_0
http://forge.ggf.org/sf/discussion/do/listTopics/projects.g
gf-editor/discussion.rec_byteio_wsrf_profile_1_0

Mark will take the editor token first, and change-track the  documents.

* Protocols - would like to have GridFTP
We agreed to add a unique name and protocol for GridFTP as  a MAY to the
list, as it is stable and defined in GGF.

We need to identify someone who will commit to doing a   byteio
implmentation which uses GridFTP.

* WS-Addressing version

We agreed to go to a "final" version of ws-addressing
There was a change from ReferenceProperties to  ReferenceParameters in an
earlier draft

We agreed to consider the version of "Web Services  Addressing 1.0" dated
9th May 2006 with namespace wsa
http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing

and "Web Services Addressing 1.0 - SOAP Binding" version  dated 9th May 2006
with name space
wsa 	http://www.w3.org/2005/08/addressing
wsaw 	http://www.w3.org/2006/02/addressing/wsdl

Documents can be found at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-ws-addr-core-20060509/
http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-ws-addr-soap-20060509/

* WS-RF rendering - schema is invalid

We agreed to move to WS-RF v2 to fix the WS-BaseFaults v1  flaw.

* Nillable elements

We agreed to use the suggested fix from Michel.

* WSRF rendering of transfer mech

A faulty understanding of WS-RF contributed to some  confusion here.

We agreed that all that is necessary is to rename the  "TransferMechanisms"
ResourceProperty to  "TransferMechanism" to make the singular nature clear.

* Structure of byte array passed back and forth in  RandomByteIOWrite
operations

Parameters are now a bit clearer for read, but still need  clarification for
write.

Basically if stride > bytes-per-clock are there holes or  are bytes
concatenated?

Mark stated that he assumed that blocks were concatenated  end to end when
strides>bytes-per-block and when  strides<bytes-per-block then again blocks
were concatenated  end-to-end again.

We will need to provide better examples of this behaviour  in the documents.

NB: We will need to change the examples in the documents as  these will be
affected by a lot of the proposed changes to  the documents.

Interop Fests
-------------

Suggested that we broadly follow the model which WS-RF  used.

Factory ops are out of scope in OGSA, so file creation is  difficult.
Interop tests should give the SOAP for the  operation to create a file.
Likewise the client has to get an epr, and so far eprs have  always come
from server. This is again something for the  bootstrap soap message.

Michel will come up with a first draft of a document which  contains a
script of how every interaction goes in an  Interop scenario to the level of
the bytes you expect to  get back.

We should ensure we exercise striding in scenarios.
We should stick to only the simple transfer mecahnism for  this interop
round.
We should have a simple sensor (e.g repeating stream of 1- 255) scenario for
streamable but only UVa has implemented  the streamable interface so far.

FLE have a implementation of ByteIO using simple transfer  mechanism,
without RPs.

UVa have Java and C# implementations. Java uses axis (like  everyone else)

--
Neil P Chue Hong            | T: [+44] (0)131 650 5957
Project Manager, EPCC       | F: [+44] (0)131 650 6555
Rm 2409, JCMB, Mayfield Rd. | E: N.ChueHong at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK      | W: http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk

BT MeetMe: http://tinyurl.com/8mwhd - Code: 14712935#

  "A film is like a battleground. It's love, hate, action,
   violence, death - in a word, emotion." - Sam Fuller