[byteio-wg] Notes from ByteIO F2F 20060119 Sunnyvale

neil p chue hong N.ChueHong at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 15:58:02 CST 2006

The presentations and minutes are available on GridForge:
http://forge.gridforum.org/docman2/ViewCategory.php?group_id=154&category_id
=1210&filtertype=basic

ByteIO F2F Minutes 19/1/06 - Fujitsu, Sunnyvale
------------------

Mark Morgan
Neil Chue Hong

Andrew Grimshaw
Steve McGough
Dave Berry
Fred Brisard?
Darren Pulsipher
Andreas Savva
Dave Snelling
Hiro Kishimoto
Allen Lunieski

Started session by screening www.405themovie.com -  played using ByteIO
(DIME/FTP) to access the file.
Cool!

Dave: Does the interface simplifies if you remove  strided read?
- Yes

Andreas: Does long mean 64 bits?
- Yes

Hiro: Why is the return type of seekWrite void?  What if there is an error?
- An error would throw a fault

?: Why is seekOrigin a URI?
- Essentially have defined three qnames as URIs,  rather than a URI as a
generic locator.
Could do as an enum, but noone has complained with  this approach.

Hiro: what happens if someone seekWrites backwards.
- This can fail, if the stream does not allow it,  but may work if the
stream supports it.

Andreas: Do you write zeroes if seekWriting  backwards?
- You pass over the data unchanged, if going past  end of stream. Is
implemented similar to UNIX, i.e.  bytes to pad are undefined.
- Does the document specify the semantics for this  clearly? Check this.

Currently in GFSG review.
Will revise the docs as go through PC comments.

DEMO:
demonstrated FTP interface using ByteIO (easy to  get Windows to interface
with it)
and a set of command line utilities.

EPCC addresses uses lowlevel Java functions to a  particular URL but will
write a different address  in the <To> field which means the MS client
cannot  use this.

Looking at <To> field and using it as a despatcher.

Service is at http://foobar/blah/byteio

<EPR>
<To>http://byteio/?/ResourceName</To>
</EPR>

There is no information in the To field to point it  to the service. We'll
look at this and try for  interop at GGF16.

GFSG is working on a template for interop  documents. We should work with
them (Steve  Pickles?)

Does GFSG have a template for experience documents  - what should they
contain?

Dave B: you're using URIs to define transfer  mechanisms. Does OGSA as a
whole have a policy on  the use of URIs?

e.g. what happens if we use URIs to identify  transfer messages elsewhere?

Dave S: If you are using ByteIO as a mechanism,  then you should use the
ByteIO one. If not, there  is no problem with having a plethora of mechanism
definitions.

Dave B: recommend OGSA create a central list of  mechanisms

Neil: just now, think it's better to just let  groups own the lists, when
other groups need them  refer back to OGSA. Only problem is when two groups
overlap. This needs coordination.

Dave B: e.g. DMIS should refer to byteio mechanisms  and add a GridFTP
transfer mechanism.

Andreas: which version are you using of e.g. MTOM,  DIME.
We need to define this properly in the document,  and also support this in
the URI defining the  transfer mechanism.

Final words:

- Give comments on the spec
- next is interop between the three implementations
- what do we need to write in an interop and  experiences document?

--
Neil P Chue Hong            | T: [+44] (0)131 650 5957
Project Manager, EPCC       | F: [+44] (0)131 650 6555
Rm 2409, JCMB, Mayfield Rd. | E: N.ChueHong at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK      | W: http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk

BT MeetMe: http://tinyurl.com/8mwhd - Code: 14712935#

  "A film is like a battleground. It's love, hate, action,
   violence, death - in a word, emotion." - Sam Fuller