[acs-wg] [ogsa-d-wg] OGSA-D-WG description for ACS specification:

Allen Luniewski luniew at almaden.ibm.com
Fri Oct 14 10:33:18 CDT 2005

Michael,

When I think of OGSA-D I think that a major focus of what data services
provide is access to data (in a very general sense of access) and your
second sentence acknowledges this.  Since we care about access to data,
the movement of data is another key.  So, in the kind of brief summary
that you are writing, I would tend to change the first sentence to say
something more like "... which provide for access to data on the grid."
Obviously not a fully descriptive phrase but I think that it comes closer
than "distribution of data".

Allen Luniewski
IBM Information Management:  Strategy Grid/On Demand Strategy

Michael Behrens <behrens at r2ad.com>
Sent by: owner-ogsa-d-wg at ggf.org
10/13/2005 07:19 PM

acs-wg at ggf.org, ogsa-d-wg at ggf.org
cc

Subject
[acs-wg] [ogsa-d-wg] OGSA-D-WG description for ACS specification:

This is being posted to the ACS and OGSA-D group for inter-group
communication purposes.
ACS needs to be aware of data services as they will impact the ACS
specification at some point in time.
The ACS specification has a non-normative section for describing
relationships with other groups/activities.
This is the proposed paragraph for your review - what do you think?

"The OGSA Data Working Group defines the data services which provide for
distribution of data on the grid.  ACS can utilize protocols being
specified such as Byte-IO, GridFTP, and possibly Replication.  ACS
provides an extension point for protocols which allow implementations to
specify which protocols are supported.  The ACS team has reviewed their
briefings and draft documents with interest.  Interaction with the OGSA
Data Working group is expected to increase during the development of the
next version of this specification."

--
Michael Behrens
R2AD, LLC