Feedback from review of requirements spreadsheet

pete at ziu.net pete at ziu.net
Sun Jan 30 00:33:27 CST 2005

Keisuke,

This is a good start.  I could only find some minor appearances of
conflicts between items.  I also threw in some potential items to think
about:

 - These two items appear to be at odds, or contradictory.  Items 1.1-a
and 2.4-a.  The first states everything must be in one archive (file), and
the latter states external references are legal.  Perhaps we could reword
somehow to say the "notion of one logical archive (with version stamp and
signature) must be maintained"?

- 2.4-e states that any protocol must be allowed, but 4.a states that
SOAP/WS must be used.   Is there an issue here if one wishes to implement
a multi-protocol ACS solution (say SOAP/WS and RMI and CORBA  [for legacy
support, since this archive system could serve other paradigms as well])?

I was wondering if there was more to add to the list:

 - Perhaps there should be different classes of archives that can be
linked together, internally or externally from the package, such as
"foundational/infrastructure bundles" (PK DN descriptions, OS, drivers,
etc.),  Application bundles, and data bundles?

 - Seems like there must be the ability to replicate/synchronize, in part
of whole, the archive server/storage, since some of the binaries are bound
to large or very large (packaged OS stuff and data), and may be
inefficient to transmit across long hauls.  Many times, an enterprise
system may wish to distributed non-transactional/non-realtime or
infrequently updated data to many locations for WAN load distribution,
different physical site redundancy, and reducing routes/long hauls.  ACS
data is a good fit for this type of behavior.

 - Is there any idea of, or existing software unit and unique identity, to
deploy across an enterprise on all devices to remotely enable the usage of
the device to become part of a grid?  This could access ACS to obtain
needed software.  Also, is there a bootp-like service to deploy this
software unit/kernel? (may be out of scope of ACS, but should allow for
the possiblity to accept client connections from this type of software
unit in our use-cases).

Peter D Ziu
703.883.5168 (o)
571.235.0208 (c)