Subject: GNUnet 0.17.0 released
From: Martin Schanzenbach <[email-masked]>
To: Gnunet Developers <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], help-gnunet <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 08:18:34 +0000
List-Id: Peer-to-Peer networking with GNUnet <help-gnunet.gnu.org>

We are pleased to announce the release of GNUnet 0.17.0.
GNUnet is an alternative network stack for building secure,
decentralized and privacy-preserving distributed applications. Our goal
is to replace the old insecure Internet protocol stack. Starting from
an application for secure publication of files, it has grown to include
all kinds of basic protocol components and applications towards the
creation of a GNU internet.

This is a new major release. It breaks protocol compatibility with the
0.15.x versions. Please be aware that Git master is thus henceforth
(and has been for a while) INCOMPATIBLE with the 0.15.x GNUnet network,
and interactions between old and new peers will result in issues.
0.15.x peers will be able to communicate with Git master or 0.17.x
peers, but some services - in particular the DHT - will not be
compatible.
In terms of usability, users should be aware that there are still a
number of known open issues in particular with respect to ease of use,
but also some critical privacy issues especially for mobile users.
Also, the nascent network is tiny and thus unlikely to provide good
anonymity or extensive amounts of interesting information. As a result,
the 0.17.0 release is still only suitable for early adopters with some
reasonable pain tolerance.

Download links:

http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/gnunet/gnunet-0.17.0.tar.gz

The GPG key used to sign is: 3D11063C10F98D14BD24D1470B0998EF86F59B6A

Note that due to mirror synchronization, not all links may be
functional
early after the release. For direct access try
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnunet/

Noteworthy changes in 0.17.0 (since 0.16.3):

GNS:
  - FCFSD: Allow configuration of relative expiration time of added
records.
  - Aligned with breaking changes in specification.
DHT:
  - Aligned and reordered message formats.
  - Moved block type definitions to GANA
  - The specification has been updated to reflect the changes.
UTIL:
  - Fix scheduler bug with same-priority immediately-ready tasks
possibly hogging the scheduler.
  - Fix mysql/mariadb detection.

A detailed list of changes can be found in the ChangeLog and the
bugtracker at https://bugs.gnunet.org/changelog_page.php?project_id=13.

Thanks:
This release was the work of many people. The following people
contributed code and were thus easily identified: Christian Grothoff,
Tristan Schwieren, Florian Dold, Thien-Thi Nguyen, t3sserakt,
TheJackiMonster and Martin Schanzenbach.