Fri Nov 17 10:29:42 PST 2023

GMail in my universe has semi-subtly announced that it is terminating
Basic HTML view. Users that want to review locally executed code will
now need to use a third party client to access their email. Me, my
systems are just very slow.

It's hard for me to tell [whether this is real or a mitm-provided
situation [given my inhibition checking such things, the paranoia
builds]] [but it is line with the general trend towards situations
people consider less secure, as well as the general trend toward
requiring higher-end systems.]

This first started a number of weeks ago, maybe some months, when the
URL requirements for visiting Basic HTML view changed. I use it so
much, and on slow systems it is hard to register a mouse click for the
button that selects it before it goes away, that I would often type
the URL in by hand.

It used to be that you could use the url without a trailing '/', but
this year, when typed without a trailing slash, the site began
forwarding to the javascript format. If I added the trailing slash, it
would then take me to Basic HTML view.

[i have more experiences to write here, i am losing them]