Mon Dec 11 14:52:50 PST 2023

14/24

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 16:43 Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim &
Survivor of Many <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> [note the board is mirrored from tac, a usual board would have the king
> and queen swapped]
>
>   ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
>   ♙ ♙ ♙ . ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
>   . . . . . . . .
>   . . . ♙ . . . .
>   . . . . . . . .
>   . . . . . . . .
>   ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
>   ♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜
>
> i was black. white opened with their queen’s pawn. i usually use a
> well-known midgrade opening i forget the name of that i learned at a summer
> camp.
> noting: since they opened with their queen’s pawn, i get to free my bishop
> and queen, as well as optionally pin a piece on their king
>

> pawn forward 2
>
> ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . ♙ . . . .
> . . . . ♟ . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ . ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜
>

> pawn takes pawn
>
> ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . ♙ . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ . ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜
>

> pawn forward 1
>
> ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . ♙ . . .
> . . . ♟ . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ . . ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜
>

> pawn takes pawn
>
> ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . ♙ . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ . . ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜
>

> bishop takes pawn
>
> ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . ♝ . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ . . ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ . ♞ ♜
>
> this theoretically exchanges position in my benefit for pieces in theirs;
> i spend my years trying to figure out how the heck to take advantage of it.
> one of the last exchanges i had regarding this at that summer camp was
> something like “why does this opening never work against you (the person
> who taught it to me)” “because you never make use of it, karl”
>

> white next brought their king’s knight out. (i wonder what they were
> planning or thinking. it could have been a habit to threaten or guard a

maybe they were erring in the side of threatening spaces my advanced bishop
could otherwise make use of.

> i brought out the opposing knight on my queen’s side. this threatens the
> same central spaces their knight does, and also moves toward the more
> difficult queen’s-side castle. i’m not sure what specifically my reasoning
> was, but i’ve been exploring different things.
>
> ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ . ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . . . . ♘ . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . ♞ ♝ . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ . . ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ . ♝ ♛ ♚ . ♞ ♜
>
> something i’ve been thinking of here is -  well
>

> they brought out their opposite knight, so maybe this is just how they
> like to open, or maybe it is some standard approach
>
> ♖ . ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ . ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . ♘ . . ♘ . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . ♞ ♝ . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ . . ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ . ♝ ♛ ♚ . ♞ ♜
>

> i then brought out my bishop. likely i was thinking of controlling the
> board safely and moving toward opening that queen’s side castle
>
> ♖ . ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ . ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . ♘ . . ♘ . .
> . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . ♝ . .
> . . ♞ ♝ . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ . . ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ . . ♛ ♚ . ♞ ♜
>
> i think i move the second bishop out farther to maybe try to be more
> aggressive, remember that e-change at summer camp.

*exchange

> when it’s on the other queen’s/king’s side it threatens a pawn that can be
> used for a checkmate, building what i’ve been calling initiative, giving
> the opponent fewer options and yourself more
>

> they moved their pawn forward 2 to threaten my overadvanced bishop
>
> ♖ . ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ . ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . . ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . ♘ . . ♘ . .
> . . . . ♙ . . .
> . . . . . ♝ . .
> . . ♞ ♝ . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ . . ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ . . ♛ ♚ . ♞ ♜
>

> and here’s where it started getting fancy, i moved my queen in front of my
> king (very dangerous!) to pin their pawn onto their king, so they couldn’t
> take the bishop, in an attempt to keep my positional and move investments.
>
> ♖ . ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ . ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . . ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . ♘ . . ♘ . .
> . . . . ♙ . . .
> . . . . . ♝ . .
> . . ♞ ♝ . . . .
> ♟ ♟ ♟ . ♛ ♟ ♟ ♟
> ♜ . . . ♚ . ♞ ♜
>
> i think once there are pins and things going on like this it starts taxing
> the players’ memories in competition, to remember all the concerns and
> dependencies.
> - they can’t use their pawn how they usually expect, so they have to put
> more cognition into things that involve it (it also pressure them to
> prioritize moving their king or engaging my queen to threaten my bishop
> again)
> - i lose my bishop if i move my queen; all the places it threatens aren’t
> actually threatened unless the value of moving there is more than a bishop,
> which i’m likely to not think of
> (i guess, maybe)
>

> i likely tried this from the puzzles experience. i’m pretty vulnerable
> here in my opinion, but i think the unexpectedness and memory loading can
> also help me win sometimes.
>
> the behavior is sadly a habit i have, where i try running a bigger risk to
> see if it pans out later, kind of a little. intended only for play, not
> serious situations.
>

> they moved out their other bishop to defend the pawn. i forgot i could
> take it. that’s likely why i risked the queen, cause it let me threaten
> putting them in check, maybe
>
> ♖ . ♗ ♕ ♔ . . ♖
> ♙ ♙ ♙ . . ♙ ♙ ♙
> . . ♘ ♗ . ♘ . .
> . . . . ♙ . . .
>
> oh no … they were already threatening the pawn with their knight. maybe
> they were disincentivizing me from pinning their knight on their king with
> my bishop?

no, if i took the pawn with the bishop, and they took it with the knight, i
think the queen could then take the knight, check, leaving me a pawn up
with initiative. the bishop response deters this.