"If only we had half a Putin" - divesting power - grounding peace - [PEACE]

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Jan 15 20:16:33 PST 2020

Peace and politics - they don't usually go together.

But you don't usually have a putin at the helm of your state.

We could be so lucky in Australia to have half a Putin.  Alas we have
pocket lining dunderheads, morons and some genuinely sociopathic
compromateds.

As the Western media scrambles to paint every cough and pause by
Putin in the maximum possible nefariousness, at least we can look
afield on occasion and get a betterer backstory:

   Russian political earthquake: Putin sets out plan
   for Kremlin departure & Medvedev resigns
   https://www.rt.com/op-ed/478381-russian-government-resignation-mishustin/

    Today, the president set out the roadmap for his exit from the
    Kremlin, more-or-less kicking off the build-up to the transition
    of power. He will step down in 2024, or perhaps even earlier, and
    he intends to dismantle the “hyper-Presidential” system which
    allowed him to wield so much control in office.

    Make no mistake, Putin’s goal is to preserve the system which he
    inherited from Yeltsin, and then tweaked. For all its faults,
    after a difficult birth it has given Russians the greatest
    freedom and prosperity they have ever known. Even if much work
    remains to be done on distributing economic gains more fairly.

    One notable suggestion is that future presidents must have lived
    in Russia for 25 continuous years before taking office, and have
    never held a foreign passport or residency permit. This would bar
    a lot of the Western-leaning Moscow opposition from running. Not
    to mention a large swathe of Russian liberals, a great many of
    whom have lived abroad at some point. Interestingly, if this rule
    had existed in 2000 Vladimir Putin himself wouldn't have been
    able to become Russia's president. He lived in Germany from
    1985-1990 (albeit on state duty).

Thank you, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin.