Infinite self parody - 'Techno-Thwarting The State'

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 9 13:30:31 PST 2019

 On Thursday, November 7, 2019, 05:13:57 PM PST, Punk - Stasi 2.0 <punks at tfwno.gf> wrote:

[quoting Chuck Hamill in 'From Crossbows to Cryptography'
 "Within a few years, it should be economically feasible to similarly encrypt voice communications; soon after that, full-color digitized video images. Technology will not only have made wiretapping obsolete, it will have totally demolished government’s control over information transfer"

This was actually quite perceptive.  The key words are "economically feasible".   He didn't say it would happen as soon or readily as the economics would seem to have allowed,  We went through the 'Clipper Chip" thing in 1993, which died a fairly quick death by maybe 1995.  Today, not only could I make phone calls that are encrypted, as well as video calls (encrypted?), I could do so from a tiny, battery-powered cordless smartphone that works just about anywhere most people live.  I'd say Hamill did an excellent job of prognosticating in 1987.
If you want to blame somebody for failing to deliver on a promised technical advance, blame AT+T for predicting the "Picturephone" product at the 1964 World's Fair.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzdCKBZP4Jo
               Jim Bell