Matt Furie using DMCAs to retake Pepe

Pepe thefirerises at memeware.net
Tue Sep 19 18:14:00 PDT 2017

Since you fags are discussing copyright.
Attached is Matt Furies reaction to the situation.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Matt Furie created the cartoon character Pepe the Frog in 2005 as a kind
of peaceful stoner animal for his comic "Boys Club." By 2008, the frog
had become a meme. In the 2016 election cycle, though, Pepe became
something completely different—an ever-meme of the alt-right. The
Anti-Defamation League characterizes Pepe as a hate symbol and has
catalogued some of the most viciously racist and anti-semitic examples.

Now Furie wants his comic frog back. After years of letting it slide,
Furie has lawyered up and sent demand letters to several alt-right
personalities, including white supremacist Richard Spencer, Mike
Cernovich, and the subreddit "The_Donald."

Last month, Furie took legal action against a man in Texas who created
an Religion of Cuck™ophobic version of Pepe for a children's book. That
matter reached a settlement. Now, Furie's lawyers have spoken to Vice
about his determination to reclaim ownership of the image and the demand
letters they have sent out.

"[Furie] was very serious when he said that we wanted to make clear that
Pepe was not the property of the alt-right and couldn't be used by the
alt-right," Furie lawyer Louis Tompros told Vice. "We've asked them to
take [the images] down. That hasn't happened yet, but they're very much
on notice. We plan to take action if they don't."

The letters demand that the alt-right commentators remove images and
videos including Pepe, including one recently created by Cernovich in
which he added Pepe into a video of Hillary Clinton reading a passage
from her new book.

"Mr. Furie is entitled to damages for your infringement," the letter
states. "After we have received confirmation that you have ceased
infringement, we will contact you to discuss what additional information
we need from you to calculate the appropriate amount of damages."

Cernovich has taken down the images, but he has also published a
blistering response by his lawyer, Marc Randazza, which boasts that
Furie "won't see a dime from Mr. Cernovich." The letter says that
Furie's letter "wasn't a serious legal threat" and that the image of
Pepe qualifies as fair use, because it's "political commentary and satire."

"Should you choose to file suit against Mr. Cernovich, we will be
delighted to embarrass the fuck out of you—and set up a malpractice
claim by your client against you," writes Randazza.

archive.is/d2JvB