[IP] Yep, it's the apocalypse: RFIDs are the "mark of the beast"

Dave Farber dave at farber.net
Fri Mar 3 09:38:44 PST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Yep, it's the apocalypse: RFIDs are the "mark of the beast"
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:16:53 -0500
From: Kevin G. Barkes <kgbarkes at gmail.com>
To: dave at farber.net

And for years I thought it was my Social Security card...

Wired News

RFID: Sign of the (End) Times?

By  Mark Baard | Also by this reporter
02:00 AM Mar, 02, 2006 EST

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts -- Katherine Albrecht is on a mission from God.

The influential consumer advocate has written a new book warning her fellow
Christians that radio frequency identification may evolve to become the
"mark of the beast" -- meaning the technology is a sign that the end-times
are drawing near.

"My goal as a Christian (is) to sound the alarm," said Albrecht, in a
conversation over tea at a high-end grocery store.

Albrecht has been a leading opponent of RFID, which is fast becoming a part
of passports and payment cards, and is widely expected to replace bar-code
labels on consumer goods. RFID chips contain unique identification codes,
and can be read at varying distances with special reader devices.

Albrecht hopes her new book, The Spychips Threat: Why Christians Should
Resist RFID and Electronic Surveillance, will be embraced by the millions of
Americans (59 percent of them, according to a 2002 Time/CNN poll) who share
her belief that the Book of Revelation in the Bible forecasts events that
are yet to come.

The Spychips Threat is in fact a Christianized version of its secular
predecessor, Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track
Your Every Move with RFID, which came out last fall.

Both books are published by the Christian publishing powerhouse Thomas
Nelson. Both lay out the same totalitarian scenarios, based on documented
plans by Philips, Procter and Gamble, Wal-Mart and other companies, along
with the federal government, to track consumer goods and people
individually.

(Including, one assumes, the copy of "The Spychips Threat" one picks up at
WalMart.)

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70308-0.html?tw=wn_index_1

Regards,

KGB